A New Micro-ISV Is Born

Well, I’ve only gone and done it, folks.

I’ve finally become a bona fide Micro-ISV (mISV).

Today marks the launch of my first product, Datafeed Studio – a web application that allows affiliate marketeers to create price comparison sites, niche online stores and product compare pages from CSV datafeed files provided by online merchants.

Running my own business has always been a dream of mine, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank those people who have inspired me to take the leap from the lucrative world of contracting into the far riskier realms of being a one-man product making machine.

First and foremost I’d like to thank my wife and two young ones for their support and understanding this year as I’ve been developing Datafeed Studio.

Other influences include :

  1. Bob Walsh – perhaps the voice for the mISV community. Micro-ISV : From Vision to Reality
    is still the mISV bible – I guess now I better start reading this in earnest.
  2. Eric Sink – author of another mISV classic.
  3. Steve Pavlina – former shareware author and now a personal development guru, always challenging, always inspiring.
  4. Business of Software forum. Maybe I can stop lurking now that I’ve earned my stripes and got myself a product? :-)
  5. Joel Spolsky – great musings on software development, and for FogBUGZ, which I’ve only just started using but it looks like it could save me a lot of headaches.
  6. Andy Brice – fellow Brit and a great contributor to the mISV community. Thanks for the software and marketing tips on your blog, Andy.

So – what’s the plan from here on in?

Well, much as I’d love to make a full-time income from my product, I don’t think that’s viable just yet.

By the end of this year I’d like Datafeed Studio to make 20% of my monthly income (the other 80% coming from freelance web application gigs (Ruby/Rails, PHP, etc.), which, yes, I am still available for if anyone is interested in working with a reliable, hard-working developer type).

I am to increase this percentage by 20% each year, so in five years all my income is from my own products. Well, that’s the dream anyway. Only time will tell…

6 comments

  1. Congrats on the move. It is good to see more UK-based developers taking the entrepreneurial route.

  2. Martin,

    Good luck with the product.

    Ps/ I’m not convinced about the green background at http://datafeedstudio.com/.

  3. Thanks, Andy.

    Point noted – I’ll experiment with the green :-)

  4. One year on – how the ISV going?

    Downloaded your datafeedstudio plan to give it ago – currently use a offsite price comparison service but it would be good to have it all in house.

    cheers,

    Ken

  5. Hi Ken,

    It’s going spookily well.

    Sales from the application currently account for about 20% of my income – but where it really pays off is with the freelance leads for customisation and integration requests I get.

    Saves me trawling the freelance boards in search of work.

    I really need to blog / network more though, I’ve left my personal site stagnate as I’ve been focused on other projects which could hurt me in the long term.

    Martin

  6. Thanks for such a great product Martin, your support has been second to none!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>